How can we improve Tickle?

offline usage

I've noticed that many lists are empty and options unavailable when attempting to use tickle at home (no internet connection).
I can understand needing a connection for updates, and to download new content, but I'd like to be able to, for instance, use a 'play sound' block while offline, and choose from content already downloaded. I know they're already on my ipad, they appear in other projects.
and/or as others have said... why cant i add/select audio files, etc, that I create/install myself? I don't need an internet connection to do that, and my wireless provider isn't hurting for money... but I am.
I know ios is restrictive, but there's apps like a basic programming app, and mercury browser, that demonstrate how tickle could handle its local library of user files. (tickle files).
and that doesn't mean I wouldn't still purchase online content, if thats how it goes in the future... in fact, I'd be more likely to hang on to tickle, in the long run. As it is, Im forced to keep looking, for offline alternatives. I'm not holding my breath, that affordable broadband will become available in rural areas here any time soon.

15 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    John shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Pedro Cardoso commented  · 

Angela, You can do this way. Do download the app and when the app starts for the first time, download all the necessary data to offline.

• John commented  · 

Well, as I write this i've already downloaded 200 megabytes of the 500+ megabyte app microsoft excel.... over a mobile network, with currently 'speed throttled' connection. There is no sign that it wont complete the download. It may take a while, but for instance there appears to be no such 100mb limit on mobile data downloads. (ipad mini 3 ios 9.1)

• John commented  · 

Ive seen this flaw in many other apps.
        Angela says its to limit data being downloaded, but quite the opposite happens.
        When we use these things, THE EXACT SAME DATA gets redownloaded over and over and over again. Everytime I want to use a module with a new Tickle project, I must be online and DOWNLOAD it again.
        The same thing happens in other apps... like having to redownload the exact same map over and over and over again in the Parrot software for the rolling spider and Bebop drones.
        That is not saving us data. Angela does not know what she is talking about.

• John commented  · 

initial download size is understandable, but I had trouble with downloading a module, then having it availiable in one tickle project but not another. Its already on my ipad, but when I try to write a new project and my iPad is offline.. the modules do not appear in the (completely blank) lists!

Feedback and Knowledge Base